North American Furloughing Missionary
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college/university or equivalent (BA degree).
- Completion of at least one full term (no less than two years) of service as a career missionary outside North America.
- Affiliation with a recognized mission organization.
- Committed to returning to ministry outside North America at the completion of MA studies at Wheaton.
- Must be a citizen of either the United States or Canada.
Healthcare workers: Medical missionaries who are professionally active and meet the above requirements also may be eligible for this award.
Awards for furloughing missionaries are usually full-tuition grants. Awards are given on a loan/scholarship basis, with 25% forgiven for each year served overseas following completion of MA studies. If you do not return to overseas ministry, loan repayment of both the principal and interest will be required.
Before you can apply, you must first submit a Preliminary Eligibility Form to our office. If you are interested in taking the first step toward applying for this award, we have provided instructions on how to apply.
- The deadline for submitting scholarship application materials is November 1 of the year prior to which you seek to be admitted into Wheaton College Graduate School.
- Complete files of candidates who meet the requirements for this award are reviewed and evaluated in late February.
- In order to be considered for the North American Furloughing Missionary Award, you must be accepted into the graduate school at the time of the selection meeting in late February.
- Scholarship applications and Graduate School admission should proceed at the same time. Materials are not interchangeable.